software solutions / project leadership / agile coaching and training

Filtering Intellisense lists in the WF RuleSetDialog

Posted on February 3, 2008

Recently on our project we’ve been diving into Windows Workflow Foundation, particularly the rules engine. This process is relatively painless since Microsoft was kind enough to expose the RuleSetDialog class so that you can use the WF Rule Set editor in your application. This code is as easy as doing something like this:

// Create a RuleSet that works with Orders (just another .net Object)
RuleSetDialog ruleSetDialog = new RuleSetDialog(typeof(Order), null, null);

// Show the RuleSet Editor
ruleSetDialog.ShowDialog();

// Get the RuleSet after editing
RuleSet ruleSet = ruleSetDialog.RuleSet;

That’s how simple it is to include the RuleSetDialog in your application. The problem is that the Intellisense dropdowns in the RuleSetDialog expose private and protected members of your class, and Microsoft doesn’t give you any way to filter the Intellisense list. So you end up with stuff like this:

Intellisense with private and protected members

Microsoft is aware of this issue, and they haven’t said anything definite about doing anything about this problem.

When you’re writing a commercial application or something that non-developers are going to use, you don’t want this kind of cryptic stuff in the list. I don’t want to expose all of the private members of my classes to the user, just like how you don’t expose private members of a class in a public API.

One way to filter the list is to create an interface and pass the interface type in as the first parameter in the RuleSetDialog constructor. This way you won’t have all of the private and protected members of the class in the Intellisense because an interface only exposes public methods. So now you’re constructor looks like this:

// Create a RuleSet that works with Orders (just another .net Object)
RuleSetDialog ruleSetDialog = new RuleSetDialog(typeof(IOrder), null, null);

This is a decent solution, but it still has problems:

• You have to create the interface.
  • System.Object members like Finalize(), GetHashCode(), and Equals() are still exposed.

Like I said before, in my commercial application, I don’t want users to have to see all of this extra stuff. I only want to show them the things that I want to show them.

Well, thanks to Reflector, I was able to come up with a way to let you filter the list. In my example, I can filter out all of the protected and private members, filter out static types, only display members decorated with an attribute, or completely override the list to only display strings that I’ve added. So now you can easily get something that looks more like this:

Filtered Intellisense

Much better!

Now I must warn you. This solution is making extensive use of reflection to get at private and internal methods and events that Microsoft didn’t feel like exposing to us. So I felt a little dirty while I was writing it, but it gets the job done!

Here is the code. Please leave a comment if you find anything wrong with it.

Here are some other good posts about the WF Rules Engine:

Execute Windows Workflow Rules without Workflow
Introduction to the Windows Workflow Foundation Rules Engine
External Ruleset Demo

Enjoy!

6 Comments »

1. Great tip.

Steve Horn — February 3, 2008 @ 9:33 pm

2. Hi
    In the intellisense pop up can you show the attribute of a property instead of the class property/method name itself. This can make the ruleseteditor more business user friendly…

for example:
    the attribute of the propert Amount if declared as follows where the property Amount has a user friendly description as specified in it’s attribute.

[IncludeInRuleSetDialog(RuleSetDialogTextBoxType.Condition, "Order's Amount")]
    public int Amount
    {
    get { return amount; }
    set { amount = value; }
    }

Now the intellisense pop up should show “Order’s Amount” instead of “Amount”.

PG — November 15, 2008 @ 3:43 pm

3. Hi Jon,

Really wonderful Article. But I would like to ask you one question.

Does Ruleset Dialog support multilingual? For Ex: Default Ruleset Dialog box comes in English but can we show it in different language say french, german etc.

It would be really great if you suggest your comments and some references to acheive multilinguality.
    Thanks a lot.

PS — February 13, 2009 @ 8:07 am

4. @PS,

Hmm… I don’t know anything about having other languages in that dialog. All of the text in that dialog is loaded from a resource file, so it might be possible.

Jon Kruger — February 13, 2009 @ 8:11 am

5. Hi Jon,

First of all, Thank you for the valuable reply. But how do we access or get that resource file.

Could you please provide your comments.

Thanks & Regards,
    PS

PS — February 19, 2009 @ 10:30 am

6. Hi Jon

Grait tip, but I’m having problems implementig this

[IncludeInRuleSetDialog(RuleSetDialogTextBoxType.Condition, "Order's Amount")]
    public int Amount
    {
    get { return amount; }
    set { amount = value; }
    }

I’m getting this Error: “The identifier >>Order’s Amount<< could not be resolved”. Would you be kind and send me PG’s mail address if you can’t help me on this one.
    Thanks

MD — August 6, 2009 @ 7:46 am

SERVICES
SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS
I have over 10 years of software development experience on several different platforms (mostly Ruby and .NET). I recognize that software is expensive, so I'm always trying to find ways to speed up the software development process, but at the same time remembering that high quality is essential to building software that stands the test of time.
PROJECT LEADERSHIP
I have experience leading and architecting large Agile software projects and coordinating all aspects of a project's lifecycle. Whether you're looking for technical expertise or someone to lead all aspects of an Agile project, I have proven experience from multiple projects in different environments that can help make your project a success.
AGILE COACHING
I believe that Agile processes and tools should be applied with common sense. I've spent the last 6 years working on Agile projects as a consultant in many different environments, both in leadership roles and as a practitioner doing the work. I can help you find out how Agile can work best in your organization, not just apply a prescriptive process.
TEST DRIVEN DEVELOPMENT TRAINING
TDD Boot Camp is a hands-on, three day, comprehensive training course that will teach you all of the skills, tools, frameworks that you will need to use test-driven development to develop real world .NET applications. If you're not looking for something that intensive, check out the the half-day version.
Have any questions? Contact me for more information.
PRESENTATIONS
The Business of You: 10 Steps For Running Your Career Like a Business
From CONDG 2012, Stir Trek 2014
From Stir Trek 2013, DogFoodCon 2013
From Stir Trek 2012, QA or the Highway 2014
(presented with Brandon Childers, Chris Hoover, Laurel Odronic, and Lan Bloch from IGS Energy) from Path to Agility 2012
(presented with Paul Bahler and Kevin Chivington from IGS Energy)
From CodeMash 2011
An idea of how to make JavaScript testable, presented at Stir Trek 2011. The world of JavaScript frameworks has changed greatly since then, but I still agree with the concepts.
A description of how test-driven development works along with some hands-on examples.
From CodeMash 2010